There are four communication methods between the database server and client provided by ALTIBASE HDB. Among these, this document describes the ALTIBASE HDB and OS configurations required for IPC communication.
- Unix Domain Socket
- IPC using shared memory
- SSL/TLS (supported starting from ALTIBASE HDB version 6.5.1)
For a description of each communication method, please refer to the "12. Server/Client Communication" section from the Administrator's manual.
All the ALTIBASE HDB versions
ALTIBASE HDB Server Configurations
By default, the Altibase server does not allow IPC access. So, in order to connect to the Altibase server with the IPC connection type, the Altibase server properties must be changed.
Related properties cannot be changed while the Altibase server is running. Therefore, the Altibase server needs to be restarted in order to change the property value.
This property is required when running an Altibase server on a Windows system.
Unix and Linux use the 'Unix domain socket' in the form of a file for IPC connection, but Windows does not support this, so a TCP port is required for IPC connection.
In Windows, IPC connections communicate using shared memory, semaphores, and mutexes over TCP connections.
ALTIBASE HDB server versions prior to 18.104.22.168.2 cannot change the default path and do not provide a separate verification method.
- The default setting of ALTIBASE HDB server version 4.3.9
The location and name of the Unix domain socket file is $ALTIBASE_HOME/trc/alti-ipc.
- The default setting of ALTIBASE HDB server version 4.3.9 or later and earlier than 22.214.171.124.2
The location and name of the Unix domain socket file is $ALTIBASE_HOME/trc/cm-ipc.
How to change properties
Changing altibase.properties file
Change the required values among the properties described above in the $ALTIBASE_HOME/conf/altibase.properties file and save the altibase.properties file.
Restarting ALTIBASE HDB
Restart the Altibase server to reflect the changed property values to the Altibase server.
Check that the values have been properly reflected.
Testing IPC connection
Try to test the iSQL connection with the IPC type.
Shared memory and semaphore resources are used for IPC communication. Therefore, to use the IPC type, the related kernel parameters must be set.
Please refer to the documents below depending on the OS. There is no recommended configurations for AIX and Windows.
- Linux: Linux Setup Guide for Altibase
- SunOS: HPUX Setup Guide for Altibase
- HP-UX: Solaris Setup Guide for Altibase
How the application communicates
Please refer to each manual for how to set the connection properties in the application program.
- CLI/ODBC: Refer to 2. ALTIBASE HDB CLI function -> SQLDriverConnect function description in CLI User's Manual.
- APRE (C/C++ Precompiler): From Precompiler User's Manual 6. Embedded SQL statement -> SQL statement related to connection -> CONNECT
- JDBC: From the JDBC User's Manual 1. Getting Started with JDBC -> Connection Information